Garage, Yard and Apartment Sale Permits
A permit is required for all garage, yard and apartment sales that are conducted on residential property within the City of Chicago. Hours of operation are limited to 9am – sunset.
To get your permit, complete the attached application form and mail it at least two weeks prior to the starting date.
There is no fee for obtaining these permits. To obtain your permit:
2 – Complete the 40th Ward webform, filling in all contact and event details.
3 – Upload the completed City of Chicago permit application to the webform and click submit.
COVID-19 Garage, Yard & Apartment Sale Guidelines
It is important for residents to keep in mind the importance of physical distancing and hand hygiene when holding a sale to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. The virus that causes COVID-19 primarily spreads between people in close contact when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks. You might also get the virus if you touch something with the virus on it, and then touch your mouth, nose, or eyes.
Follow These Guidelines
Keep yourself and your customers safe at your garage/yard sale by doing the following:
- Place posters encouraging physical distancing for customers to see upon arrival and while shopping.
- Set up tables and chairs at least 6 feet apart.
- Use heavy-duty tape to form a flow for customers to follow throughout the sale.
- Ask customers to stand in a line, while spread apart, during high traffic times.
- Clean and disinfect frequently — clean all tables and chairs several times throughout the day.
- Make sure all merchandise is washed and dried and/or wiped down with a disinfectant product before placing on a table or chair for sale.
- Wipe down all tables and chairs using disinfectant at the end of the day or in the morning before the next day of the sale.
- Wear a cloth face covering during the sale when physical distancing is not possible.
- Have hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol on tables and other places for customers to use.
- Wash your own hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If you are sick cancel your garage sale and stay home.
For more information on COVID-19 please visit Chicago.gov/coronavirus, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-746-4835.