Dear Neighbors, March 16, 2020
As promised, our office is sharing updates and resources related to the Chicago’s COVID-19 response efforts, and we will continue to do so as the situation develops. Yesterday, Governor Pritzker ordered all restaurants and bars to close dine in service, starting this evening. Delivery and pick up is still permitted. The Governor also mandated that any gathering of 50 or more be canceled in the state of Illinois.
As a reminder, the 40th Ward office has closed in the interests of public health and employee safety. Ward staff will continue to work remotely. To contact the office, email email@example.com or call 773-654-1867.
- Whenever possible, stay home and practice social distancing.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, especially if you are at higher risk for serious illness.
- Practice enhanced hygiene:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs, countertops and phones.
- Try alternatives to shaking hands, like an elbow bump or wave.
- If you believe you may have coronavirus, call your healthcare provider/hospital in advance so they can take appropriate measures to protect staff and patients prior to your arrival, if advised to come in for care.
- Swedish Hospital has instituted visitor restrictions and in most cases, they are rescheduling annual wellness exams, most preventive health visits, and many elective procedures through March 31, 2020. To learn more, visit https://swedishcovenant.
School Closures and Meal Pick Up
- All CPS school sites will serve as food distribution sites for CPS students.
- Families can find their nearest CPS school at CPS.edu/map.
- Food pick-up will take place outside of the school building and begins at every school on Tuesday, March 17 and is scheduled from 9 a.m.–1 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- CPS families can pick-up three days worth of meals at time, with two meals per child.
- For those unable to pick up meals, please call the CPS Command Center at 773-553-KIDS (5437) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance between 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Meal pick up is available for the duration of the closure.
- CPS has compiled an enrichment resource list of activities for students while at home.
Services for Seniors
- Classes and group activities at the City’s regional and satellite senior centers are suspended.
- DFSS will continue to provide meals to seniors using boxed meals in place of the standard dining-in program. Seniors are required to take the boxed meals to-go. Seniors will not have an option to sit in the centers and eat together.
- Seniors can still visit the centers to get help with applying for public benefits.
- Food Pantries will continue to operate during standard days and times.
Voting on Tuesday, March 17
- The polls will be open tomorrow for voting.
- Your polling location may have changed. Check the list of polling sites in the 40th Ward as of today, March 16.
- Voters can look up your polling location according to home address at the Board of Elections site or by calling 312-269-7900.
- Polling locations will adhere to health guidelines (available hand sanitizer, wiping down machines in between uses and taking extra social distancing precautions).
- Mail in ballots must be postmarked 3/17/20, at the latest.
- Chicago Coronavirus Webpage: Chicago.gov/
- Sign up to receive updates from Chicago Department of Public Health HERE
- THE DOC IS IN: ASK DR. ARWADY: CDPH is hosting live daily briefings and Q&A sessions on Twitter and Facebook Live to allow residents to submit questions and stay informed.
- CDC COVID-19 site: https://www.cdc.gov/
- Apply for unemployment benefits due to COVID-19 at the Illinois Department of Employment Security website or by calling 1-800-244-5631.
- Assistance for bartenders available through the USBG National Charity Foundation.
- Our office is compiling a list of resources for the business community; check back for updates.
Our office will be prioritizing issues related to COVID-19. Please be patient as we do our best to respond to other constituent requests as soon as we are able. If you have questions, please contact the Ward Office at 773-654-1867 or email at email@example.com.
Yours in Service,
Alderman, 40th Ward
5620 N Western Ave, Chicago, IL
sign up for our newsletter at 40thward.org