Dear Neighbors, March 18, 2020
This morning I joined my City Council colleagues on a conference call with Mayor Lightfoot to discuss the City’s ongoing COVID-19 response. The Mayor issued an emergency executive order and announced the temporary suspension debt collection and ticketing and towing practices. As many city employees begin to work remotely, departments deemed essential will remain fully staffed. This includes the Chicago Police and Fire Departments, the Office Emergency Management & Communications, and Sanitation, Water, and Airport Operations.
Tomorrow evening, at 5:00 pm, Mayor Lightfoot will address Chicagoans and outline the importance of the comprehensive and proactive steps the City has already taken to protect the health of Chicago’s residents and communities, and preview measures her administration will take in the weeks ahead. The address will be broadcast on local television and on social media (Facebook, Twitter).
As a reminder, the 40th Ward office has closed in the interests of public health and employee safety. Ward staff will continue to work remotely. To contact the office, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-654-1867.
- Chicago COVID-19 Updates
- The Doc Is In: Ask Dr. Arwady Live Q & A at 11:00 am, Monday-Friday on Facebook, Twitter
- Sign up to receive updates from Chicago Department of Public Health
- State of Illinois Updates
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) Updates
- Swedish Hospital
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Chicago Hotline 833-626-4244 (available 24/7)
- Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline: Call or text 877-863-6338 (available 24/7) for confidential help and information. Additional information is available at The Network Advocating Against Domestic Violence and The National Domestic Violence Hotline.
School Closures and Meal Pick Up
- All CPS school sites will serve as food distribution sites for CPS students.
- Families can find their nearest CPS school at CPS.edu/map.
- Food pick-up will take place outside of the school building from 9 a.m.–1 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- For those unable to pick up meals, please call the CPS Command Center at 773-553-KIDS (5437) or email email@example.com for assistance between 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Meal pick up is available for the duration of the closure.
- CPS Enrichment Resources
- Stay Active At Home
- Chicago Public Library Online Materials
Services for Seniors
- Classes and group activities at the City’s regional and satellite senior centers are suspended.
- DFSS will continue to provide meals to seniors using boxed meals in place of the standard dining-in program. Seniors are required to take the boxed meals to-go. Seniors will not have an option to sit in the centers and eat together.
- Seniors can still visit the centers to get help with applying for public benefits.
- Food Pantries will continue to operate during standard days and times.
Information for Small Businesses and Employees
- Illinois Small Business Survey – Assist the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity in evaluating specific areas of need at this time.
- Chicago Small Business Survey – Provide feedback as BACP develops resources and measures to support small businesses that have been impacted by COVID-19
- Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) COVID-19 Page – City of Chicago’s main page for business-specific resources during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Small Business Association COVID-19 Resources – Federal resources and fact sheets for businesses affected by COVID-19. Includes links to Economic Injury Disaster Loan applications and other emergency funding options.
- US Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 Response Toolkit – Right now it’s mostly just graphics and information resources, but hopefully they’ll be adding resources as they’re able to bring them online.
- Freelance Artist Resources
- BACP Consumer Fraud Hotline – For any COVID-19 related consumer fraud, price gouging, etc. complaints.
- IRS COVID-19 Info Page
More COVID-19 Resources and Information From 40th Ward Chambers:
- Apply for unemployment benefits due to COVID-19 at the Illinois Department of Employment Security website or by calling 1-800-244-5631.
- City of Chicago Rental Assistance
More Ways To Help
- 40th Ward Neighbor’s Chicago COVID-19 Hardship and Help Page
- The Red Cross is seeking individuals to give blood during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information about giving blood during the COVID-19 pandemic click here. To find a blood donation site please go here and enter your zip code.
- PAWS Chicago and One Tail at a Time are seeking foster homes for rescue animals.
- Friendship Center is in need of soap! Call Ross at 312-415-2044 to arrange a time to drop off.
Our office will be prioritizing issues related to COVID-19. Please be patient as we do our best to respond to other constituent requests as soon as we are able. If you have questions, please contact the Ward Office at 773-654-1867 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.